Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Deck Feature: Ace of Hearts

To make up for no article last week because I was away, this week I'm doing two deck features to make up for it. So be sure to come back Thursday as well. For our first feature this week is my number two choice for league battles during the first half of league: Rogue and Gambit. This deck is fun to play and also fairly easy to construct, so let's get right into it.



x3 52 Card Pickup
x4 Adrenaline Rush
x2 Steel Yourself For Battle
x3 I'll Take That
x4 Borrowed Strength
x4 Strength of Will
x4 Explosive Leap
x3 Rogue's Gallery
x3 Grand Theft
x4 Ace of Hearts
x2 Fly Girls
x1 Entwined Destiny
x1 Thief and Rogue
x2 Power Grab




This deck has a lot of great things going for it with a great amount of healing and card draw to keep you in the game. Our cards really shine mid-game, and the deck does just fine if the coin is constantly flipping tails. Attack factors are also very balanced to allow you to mix up your attacks with some low cost vanilla cards to give you an early advantage. A missing element in this deck that I always regretted was not having any cards to kill keepers. I don't feel that every deck needs such cards, but this deck in particular always has problems against any keepers that heal your opponent.

The main strategy is of course to get Ace of Hearts on the board, as it will keep you alive with healing or by putting blocks in your hand. I feel that the latter is much better, so I chose to play a playset of every Gambit card available with the exception of one. When the Gambit quests become available, you'll have a lot more options to play with and I feel the deck will really truly shine at that point, but for now it runs just fine as the deck is split even with twenty Gambit cards (there are twenty-one Rogue cards because of Thief and Rogue). Strength of Will and Rogue's Gallery help us keep our hand full so we always have plenty of options. Card advantage is what makes this deck amazing, so we want to draw as many cards as possible to always have blocks.

Our second tactic is to punish our opponent with under-costed attacks. While this is not a major focus of the deck, if your hand has plenty of cards with as much as we hope to draw, you should be able to land timely attacks with Grand Theft and I'll Take That for some scary damage. When playing this deck, it's important to try and get a read on what your opponent is doing so that you choose the correct timing on your attacks.

Overall, the deck is a fun choice but is very reliant on Ace of Hearts. In games where it gets blocked it's a very uphill battle. If you want to play this deck, I highly recommend you have at least multiples of Entwined Destiny and Thief and Rogue as it makes it just so much better. While this was one of my league decks, I must admit it was probably the weakest of my decks and didn't win as many games as I hoped for. I will certainly be revisiting this one when Gambit's quests release, so until then, I hope your results are solid if you play with this one.

1 comment:

  1. I've got to agree - I've never been able to get a Rogue/Gambit deck working "just right." There are some much better team-up decks out there. Still, there's great potential there and with the addition of a few key cards RG could just explode.

    ReplyDelete