Monday, August 20, 2012

STG's Gencon Report

Hi yall, STG here back from Gencon. The Super Hero Squad TCG experience was definitely one to remember, and a great turnout with over thirty players for each tournament. With much appreciation to Astral Scythe Gecko for loaning me his awesome Wolverine deck, and a little luck, I managed to win both tournaments. Maybe now I can say "I'm the best there is at what I do."

Here is the constructed deck I played:
(the deck was built and all cards owned by Astral Scythe Gecko, thanks sir)

4x Adrenaline Rush
3x Let's Play Twister
2x Snikkity Snikt
3x Decision of the Heart
3x Fast Healing
3x Phase and Rescue
1x The Bigger They Are...
2x Samurai Slash
1x Never Give Up
2x Psionic Avalanche
3x Adamantium Bones
2x Telepathic Bonds
2x Savage Leap
2x Paragons of Brilliance
1x The Best At What I Do
2x Slice n Dice Furyfest
1x Fastball Special
2x Walk on the Wild Side


I choose this deck because of it's aggressive nature. We expected there to be a lot of random builds from players who weren't big players of the online game or didn't have a lot of cards, so I wanted to play a deck that didn't care about defense and just wanted to go crazy. Neither of those worries ended up coming true, but the deck did what it wanted to anyway. It has everything you could ask for, big dual factor attacks, powerful chaining capability, a little keeper control, card draw, and Adamantium Bones which would prove to be the best card in the deck. There was a lot of talk going around about how much the other players weren't prepared for it, and I really did win games by just having it sit there.

My first round was against a sealed deck. This player just wanted to win the iPad and didn't really know how to play, so it was almost like a bye. 2-0 win.

Second round I played against an X-Men Discard deck this would prove to be my most difficult match in both tournaments, coming down to the very last cards in game three. We traded lucky blocks through all our matches, both of us catching some really lucky breaks but I fortunately emerged the victor. 2-1 win. I think this person's name was Strange Brilliant Cow, so look out for them.

Third round was against Bright Breaking Ghost playing an X-Woman deck. I just had blocks for all of his cards, so there wasn't much he could do. Big chains happened and Wolverine cut him down pretty good. Sorry Ghost, you definitely should have played the Scarlet Witch deck. 2-0 win.

Fourth round I played against a Storm/Panther deck. He had only started the physical game a few days ago, but his deck was almost fully complete. We traded unblockable attacks with his Panther in the Mist and my Decision of the Heart, but late game my cards were just simply bigger than his and my huge dual factor attacks came through for me. 2-0 win.

Fifth round was against Storm/Thor. One of the players I traveled with, playing a Spider-Man deck, lost to her in round three and mentioned her overwhelming amount of speed blocks. Fortunately for me she had only six animal blocks and elemental blocks so I was able to power over her in game one. Game two I was not prepared for her Thor strength attacks and they took me down very low. By the time Adamantium Bones came down it was too late and I lost that game. In our final game three, Adamantium Bones came down on power level seven and her cards became too weak to kill me, I threw out big dual factor chains and took it home. 2-1 win.

Quarter finals match I can't remember what I played against. I just remember winning with Adamantium Bones just like almost any other game. 2-0 win.

Semi-finals I played against a modified starter deck! I didn't know what was going on, but he definitely didn't get this far for nothing. His deck was constantly throwing surprises at me, and took me to game three. Once again the Bones came down immediately when the power hit seven and his huge damage cards just couldn't take him the distance. 2-1 win.

The grand final was against the Storm/Panther player player who had just beat Astral Scythe Gecko by lucky blocking Fist Meets Face twice. Fortunately, if you would say, he conceded because he had a True Dungeon event that was starting. That game is serious business. I think he was also afraid to play me anyway because he didn't think he would win. That would make the second time I got a default win in the finals for SHS cards, but I'm not complaining.  I just won an iPad 3!

I won't mention the sealed-only tournament because there isn't much of note, except for in the finals game I cross examined my opponent for three cards to win game one, I lost game two after an eleven damage Weather Report? Pain hit me, and game three all of his elemental blocks were at the bottom of his deck which allowed me to just absolutely roll over him for another undefeated tournament win.

It was a great experience and I hope that some of you readers who wanted to go will make it next time. I also want to thank all of the readers who are not CBR members for playing, and I hope you all will join our community.

4 comments:

  1. I know I should have played the Witch deck! Hahahahaha. Had I not flaked about the newbies... the X-Woman deck did its job against those, however. Next time, though, definitely considering something like the Soda deck.

    The other one I lost to was Avengers keeper, which really was a case of just not having anything line up the way it should.

    Also; as to sealed, it turns out playing block-heavy gets you a lot of wins with a bad set-up when going random vs. random. Otherwise, my 3-1 performance is outright inexplicable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially when this Koala went 4-1 with a Sealed deck. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!

    Adamantium Bones is a totally devastating card... I'm surprised word didn't get around that you were using it and you ran into people saving keeper control just for that card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get those Adamantium Bones cards? I was under the impression that it wasn't available either on the online card game or with the physical card game.

    ReplyDelete